Windows backup failure: 0x81000033
We all must appreciate benefits of backing up. So do I, but I've been facing this error: 0x81000033 while doing backups (using Backup and Restore) on my new(-ish) Windows 7 Ultimate machine.
After googling a bit I found a solution that worked. Seems that the problem was because of the size of USN journal that was turned-on on System Reserved partition (the 100MB one that's created by default).
Doing the following things helped to resolve the problem and now my backups to a remote NAS (SS4200-E).
- Run Command Prompt in administrator mode (hit Start, type cmd.exe, right-click and select Run as administrator)
- In Command Prompt type fsutil usn queryjournal F:
- If it does not say that journal is disabled then type fsutil usn deletejournal /D F:
- Retry backup. It should work as it is supposed to.
This is assuming that you have assigned letter F: to System Reserved partition. If not, you have to assign a letter to it.
- Hit Start, right-click on Computer and select Manage.
- In Computer Management -> Storage select Disk Management.
- Right-click on partition named System Reserved and choose _Change Drive Letter And Paths..
- Hit Add... button and choose a letter to assign. And hit OK.
Then do the disabling of USN Journal again.
Source for this post is here.© Vaidas Sirtautas.RSS